Thursday, May 1, 2014

An Unexpected Proposal, Sort of

So real talk, the proposal was only kind of a surprise.  I mean, we went ring shopping together, so I knew it was at least on Daniel's mind.

Hawai'i is a special place for us - we made it Facebook official while I was there, and we vacationed there together twice, the last time being in 2011.  So fast forward to the end of 2013, when Daniel said we NEEDED to go on vacation, and we HAD to go to Hawai'i, and DEFINITELY to Oahu (despite having an employee rate at the same hotel company he works for on the Big Island), I may have known something was up.

Too ridiculous to not use / Source

I had, of course, hypothesized about the chances with my girlfriends, who excitedly insisted that it was happening on our vacation.  After some thought about it all, I decided the best thing I could do was not get too caught up in proposal expectations.  The last thing I wanted to do was ruin our vacation.

Guys, that was so. hard.  But I am truly, honestly incredibly glad that I (pretty much) stuck to it.

So Daniel made all the arrangements for our trip.  I had no clue what was going on beyond the dates and flights.  Hint I tried to ignore #1.

A few days before we left, we got pedicures (yes both of us... I got him to get one with me ages ago and now he will go get his feet scrubbed for special occasions. Woot!), and when we got there he encouraged me to get my finger nails done also.  I sent a quick text message to my BFF asking if it was a sign, and that text resulted in Daniel asking if I had been telling people he was proposing in Hawai'i - oops.  Hint I totally didn't ignore #2.

My mom mentioned my dad gave Daniel a hard time, on the same day as said text, asking if he was going to propose in Hawai'i.  Not a conversation I was present for, hmmmmmmm.  Hint I tried to ignore #3.

I'm heading out from our office to pack for our trip, and after spending weeks talking with my mom on and off about proposal possibilities, I mentioned casually to her that they would know before me anyways, because I knew he would ask for their blessing.  Total silence from my mom.  Hint I tried to ignore #4.

So I headed home that night trying really hard not to focus on all the little signs.  The ladies in my family are infamous for figuring out surprises from just a couple of small hints (my dad has learned to not tell us anything), but every time a thought of a proposal came into my head, I ignored the heck out of it.

That night we both stayed up late packing and preparing for our trip, but I was done without pulling an all nighter.  Daniel was not so lucky, so I headed off to bed.  When I woke up his suitcases were zipped up and ready to go, so off we headed to the airport!

Grabbing breakfast at the airport! / Collage made here / Personal Photo

Any other curious ladies out there? I can't help but try to guess surprises most of the time!

2 comments:

  1. ahahah my best friend and I just spent a good 2-minute laughing out loud at your first picture, where did you find that gem??

    I totally get you about guessing surprises....I am definitely a planner by nature. But that doesn't mean the proposal is any less special! Congratulations to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got lucky searching on Google haha! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      I completely agree with you, it was still so special and I was SO glad I didn't get too focused on wondering when it was going to happen. Thank you!!

      Delete